From:
"John J. O'Brien" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2008 02:50:11 -0500
Larry, I think you make my point in saying that RMgrs need to manage the
information resource, not only the record.

Please do not think that my use of recorded information and information
resources in any way suggests that "records" are not at issue.  Authentic,
reliable records that factor into defensible business processes and have
value for operations, risk /liability management and grounding learning
communities of practice is what it's all about.  We, as professionals (there
are many definitions of that term) apply a body of knowledge in the
management of recorded information (not just records) to serve needs in this
regard.

At the same time, I have seen too many execs, and US ones to boot, take
false comfort in thinking that a record is whatever they/their organization
defines it to be without due regard for ensuring an accurate, reliable and
authentic record of a decision process.   As you note, one does not manage
records out of context of the overall information resource. That context is
not made up of 100% records (which in any case is variously defined in
different jurisdictions with different intent) and that content can support
or challenge the integrity of the "official" record. Getting rid of
everything not declared to be a record doesn't quite work, in my experience.
In fact, it can make it look like you have something to hide.

Records managers need to be, IMO, seen as valued players in corporate
strategy and involved/engaged at the conception of business process design
(as integral to the Australian continuum model) which places them at the
heart of content management. We do not see enough of this, but it exists.

Larry, while we take different cuts on this issue of defining IRM and RIM, I
doubt we are so far apart re the essence of what needs to be done in the
management of recorded information resources.

Cheers,
John

John James O'Brien, CRM, MALT
http://www.irmstrategies.com/krd