From:
Dick King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2008 08:46:34 -0700
Hugh Smith wrote:
> Now this seems simple enough.  Should your box be placed so the handle
> is out or turned side ways so the long side of the box is facing the
> aisle.
Hugh,
While you are probably right about box faces burning off in a major fire
it seems a matter of risk assessment.  First, if one runs a storage
center it should be secure enough to prevent entry to an arsonist.
Second, sprinklers should stop the fire before it takes the whole
building.  Third, if the fire is so severe as to take the whole
structure it probably doesn't matter anyway.  Fourth, if I had the boxes
shelved sideways (in our center they are end-on, two high and two deep)
my staff could never get the buggers off the shelf.  Since we pull files
and boxes on a daily basis it would physically kill my folks to try to
weasel those boxes out if stored sideways.  Eighteen years and no fire
v. 150,000 pulled boxes to retrieve files (not counting new boxes or
boxes pulled for disposal).  The risk of injury to the staff seems much
higher than risk of fire loss.  Dick King, University of Arizona