From:
"Schmitz Fuhrig, Lynda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 2009 15:35:26 -0400
The parser captures email accounts complete with their attachments. The
XML file is the preserved email account, its messages, and all
attachments less than 25 Kb in size.

According to the pre-set configuration, attachments larger than
25Kb are exported into the prepared account's directory tree and
placed in the folder corresponding to the "owning" message. The
location of any exported attachment is encoded in the preserved
account XML file within its owning message.

Exported attachments have been migrated to XML using base64
encoding in most cases, for ease of access at a later time. This also
facilitates giving the exported attachments filenames that are unique
to that attachment throughout the preserved account file. In a
sizeable email account, it is very likely that several messages have
different attachments that are named the same (e.g., policy.doc.) The
parser assigns unique files names to all exported attachments using
the convention "attachxxxxxxxxx.xml"

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Lynda Schmitz Fuhrig
Smithsonian Institution Archives

Electronic Records Division