From:
"William W. LeFevre" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 2009 20:23:05 -0400
Dear All:

Well, a big thanks to Gordy Hoke for his comments.  Anyone familiar with Anne Thurston and the IRMT cannot help but be impressed with the RIM work they are doing in Africa and on other continents.

See below the announcement from the June newsletter of the ARMA International Educational Foundation about how the IRMT and the AIEF have partnered to help foster the growth of best RIM practices in Africa and elsewhere (and if you feel compelled, and you should, you can donate at the AIEF website at: http://www.armaedfoundation.org/).

William LeFevre, CRM
Vice Chairman, ARMA International Educational Foundation

INTERNATIONAL RECORDS MANAGEMENT TRUST AND ARMA
INTERNATIONAL EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION SIGN ACCORD
OF PARTNERSHIP AND COOPERATION
The International Records Management Trust (IRMT) and the ARMA International
Educational Foundation (AIEF) signed an Accord of Partnership and Cooperation. The
Accord, entered into on behalf of the IRMT by its International Director, Dr. Anne Thurston,
OBE and for the AIEF by Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Susan Whitmire, CRM, is
intended to provide a framework for mutually beneficial and cooperative initiatives.
The possible cooperative ventures, all of which are focused on advancing education,
research and scholarship in the field of records management, include identifying and
sharing good-practice; defining significant research topics and researchers; reviewing
and disseminating educational materials; exchanging research findings, reports and news;
and developing joint field efforts.
With the completion of the Accord, the two organizations immediately completed their first
cooperative venture. The AIEF provided $5,000 U.S. to assist the distribution of educational
modules, developed by the IRMT, that focus on managing electronic records to support
records professionals in developing nations in Africa and elsewhere. In thanking the AIEF
for its generous contribution to the distribution of the materials, Dr. Thurston noted, "Many
developing countries are hoping to leapfrog to a purely electronic environment.
Unfortunately, the framework of laws, policies, standards, systems, procedures and skills
needed to maintain the integrity of the records is not in place, and the growing body of
relevant knowledge in developed countries is not being adapted to meet the circumstances
of lower-resource countries. The distribution of the educational materials marks an important
step forward in addressing this situation." In statements noting the signing of the
Accord, Dr. Thurston and Ms. Whitmire pointed out the high level of enthusiasm from both
organizations in reaching this accord and on working together into the future.