From:
Paul Bergeron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 2009 08:22:45 -0500
Michelle:

I suppose the answers you receive will depend on the type of industry,
volume of boxes involved, the frequency of your disposition, the storage
and/or breakdown of the emptied containers, and the staffing available
to handle and re-distribute the boxes, but here is ours:

We dispose of records whose retention periods have expired twice each
year, in January and July, and have them shredded on-site.
Standard-sized record boxes that are in good shape (i.e., sturdy and not
written on in such a way as to confuse staff as to its contents in the
future) are set aside.  We do not break them down.  Any city department
is welcome to claim those boxes for their own use on a first-come,
first-served basis.  Boxes which are not standard size, that are flimsy
(e.g., certain banker's boxes), or that are marked up too severely are
flattened and sent to the recycling station at the city landfill.
(There's no cost to the city for using its own landfill.)

City departments are charged back for the shredding services, but not
for any staff labor required for the breakdown or recycling of boxes.

Paul R. Bergeron
City Clerk
229 Main Street
Nashua, NH  03060