From:
Luciana Duranti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 2009 08:06:12 -0800
I would like to add that it is not true that peer-reviewed journals
must have as referees people with a PhD.  The referees must be expert
in the area discussed by the article.  There are plenty of recognized
experts who do not hold PhD and are not academic, and who would be
entirely appropriate as referees. For example, if I write an article
with a strong legal content, comparing issues of e-discovery in
Canada and the US, the article should be sent to at least one
Canadian and one American expert in e-discovery, regardless of
whether the person is an academic or not, holds a PhD or not.

The Editorial Board should include a few academics, mostly to assess
research methodologies and the form of expression, but there are
plenty of refereed journals for which the primary editor is not an
academic and does not hold a PhD and the majority of the editorial
board is composed of professionals.  Peer-reviewed means exactly
that, reviewed by peers.  Both academics and professionals write in
such journals and their writings should be reviewed by professionals
as well as academics.  Look at the list of authors and the members of
the editorial boards of refereed journals like Archivaria or the
American Archivist.

Luciana

At 07:07 AM 14/12/2009, you wrote:

>We are a diverse community with diverse needs. Those of us recommending a
>peer-reviewed journal are speaking of the needs of maybe a new breed of RM
>professional who does possess a degree and a CRM and is very interested in
>research with the option of publishing in a peer-reviewed journal. Those in
>tenure-track positions cannot remain there without publishing in a
>peer-reviewed journal. And the students coming along look to peer-reviewed
>journals for their literature reviews and for research on which they can
>build new and more advanced research.
>
>So - one answer does not fit all - diverse community needs diverse
>solutions. Wikis, blogs, tweets, IMJ AND peer-reviewed journals all have
>their place in the RM world in my humble opinion.
>
>Pat

>To unsubscribe from this list, click the below link. If not already
>present, place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body
>of the message.
>mailto:[log in to unmask]

Dr. Luciana Duranti
Chair and Professor, Archival Studies
Director, The InterPARES Project www.interpares.org
Director, Digital Records Forensics Project www.digitalrecordsforensics.org
School of Library, Archival and Information Studies www.slais.ubc.ca
The University of British Columbia
The Irving K. Barber Learning Centre
Suite 470, 1961 East Mall
Vancouver, British Columbia  V6T 1Z1 CANADA
Tel: 604.822.2587
Fax: 604.822.6006
www.lucianaduranti.ca
Note: This email (including all attachments and content conveyed
hereby) is intended for the addressee, in person or position, only.
Unauthorized use, distribution or action based on this email is
prohibited. No rights of ownership are waived or lost through
transmission, misdirection or interception. If you are not the
intended addressee, kindly notify the sender immediately and expunge
all traces of this email from all relevant data systems.