From:
George Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 2009 13:39:29 -0500
Barrett,

This is exactly what most, if not all, federal agencies do, e.g., DoD 5015.2.  In the federal agency I support the "70" series of policies and procedures covers records and information management.  They use regulations to define policy and handbooks to provide procedures for carrying out the policies.  They also use notices to promulgate immediate short-term policies until they can be incorporated into a long-term policy.  And bulletins are used for reminders of policies, e.g., rules for holiday parties.  Try to make your top level categories functional rather than organizational to avoid the effect a reorganization could have.  The only downside is setting up a staff unit to manage them.  In federal agencies polices are permanent records.  Most RIM textbooks refer to this activity as "regulations or directives management."

George D. Darnell, CRM

SAIC Senior Systems Engineer
703-850-2132