From:
Terry Mergele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 2009 11:05:19 -0800
Hi Barrett:

I'm tackling the entire body of policy and procedural documentation for our company. The existing stuff, consisting of some 250 "policies" and countless subordinate documents, is identified with a hodgepodge of numbers that date back to several attempts over the past 30 years to develop a coherent numbering scheme.

I took the approach of tying control numbers to the corporate taxonomy, which is organized by function, activity and task. On the premise that the taxonomy describes "what we do," and the policy and procedural documentation describes "in what manner/ by what method," I'm associating each policy with an activity (usually). In our tiered structure, with 1) code of conduct and guiding principles at the top, we have 2) policies, 3) guidelines/standards and 4) process documents, procedures, matrices, glossaries, and other tools.

The numbering system I've gone with (so far) is purely numerical, e.g., 07.01.04, as I felt that that would be the most scaleable. You can expand it to include numerous guidance documents, for example, where there are country differences, and different procedures as needed for departmental context differences. I wouldn't object to an alpha identifier; that's just not the way we chose to go.

Actually, below the policy level the numbering is less significant if you conscientiousloy associate every subordinate document to one or more policies. This needs to be maintained in a database; but for the more visual folks I had our matrix blown up and mounted on foamcore, with blank rows for expansion, so that managers can better participate in assigning a hierarchical level (and association to the taxonomy).

Terry Mergele, CRM
Manager, Global Information and Policy Management
Kinetic Concepts, Inc.
Mobile 210-394-9422
Office 210-255-6260