From:
Joseph Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 2010 06:49:53 -0800
The disc itself may last a long time, but your data may not.  When you burn
a disc, the laser in your disc burner is changing a dye in the data layer of
your CD or DVD.  That dye will degrade over time, 5-10 years is the most
common lifespan I have heard.  I duped a group of about 250 CDs a few years
ago in order to refresh the media - the discs were 5-10 years old and we
experienced a 3-5% failure rate.   We of course had a backup set of discs so
I was able to recover all the data even when the working copy of a disc
failed.  Never trust a single copy of a CD that has been burned in a
computer for long term storage, always make a backup, and plan on refreshing
your media periodically.  This of course doesn't even touch on the data
migration issues that can arise due to software obsolescence and other
issues as Fred Grevin pointed out in his response.  Hope that helps!

-- Joseph Morris