Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:10:18 -0700
Quoting Joseph Morris <[log in to unmask]>:

> The firm I work for (an Engineering / Architecture firm) is preparing to do
> its annual records destruction.  A question has come up regarding material
> due to be destroyed this year being need for reference on another project
> which is still active.  Is it valid to remove or copy materials from a
> project prior to destruction and use them as background info for further
> work?
>
> Thanks,
> Joseph Morris

Joseph,
I don't know of course if or what kind of RM system you have but our
department
transfers this sort of material to the new department where it becomes part of
the new project.  That transfer gets noted in our system.  The important thing
is to connect some sort of tracking for the tranfered material.  As
others have
noted, you don't want your counsel in litigation to swear that material
has been
disposed of when some of it has been transfered.  We also keep such tracking
records when material is transfered from inactive record status to the admin.
archives.  Dick King, Director - Records Management & Archives, University of
Arizona