From:
John James O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2010 01:21:36 -0400
I resisted Facebook for some time for reasons already expressed. Then a
colleague from my Swedish business interest asked me to give feedback on his
page and I agreed, not knowing that meant establishing a page of my own to
make good on my promise.

Over time, despite some annoyances and certainly a myriad connection
requests, I have found that FB is a great way to keep in touch. Firstly with
my daughter when I was in Hong Kong and she in Ireland, then Japan.  Lately
with old friends. Surprisingly, with clients where FB has added a dimension to
the relationship that builds familiarity and trust.

I have come to welcome contact from people with whom I share interests and
when abroad typically let people know I am in the area. Thus, FB connections
have become, in some cases, actual friends.

My work is international (I write now from Russia where my shcedule has
precluded contacting RIM folk, but try me at +7 (8) 909 248 5621 today or
tomorrow).  Being accessible and timely in multiple timezones means that tools
like LinkedIn, Academici, Ecademy, Viadeo, FB, Naymz, etc. have moved from
pain in the neck to lifeline in my very specific context.

Like others, I wrestle with the distinction between personal and professional
and have decided that where absolutely necessary, I can create a different
online id and personna to meet the need.  More difficult is the fact that I have
several business interests which are not obviously related.  I figure that being
selective is more problematic than being diverse. My page is more akin to the
Canadian mosaic than the US melting pot in this regard.

The problem with FB is less a matter of its functionality than with the
propensity of viewers to assume, conclude and judge in limited context and
perhaps with great effect. That is human nature I suppose...not unrelated to
those ethical questions in another thread that I must delay response on. I do
not expect people to assume that because a friend posts X in a political vein
that I share the view,  same for Y.

LinkedIn and Naymz are less social, FB more so. But for many online
networkers, it is no longer best practice to draw such a hard line.

One guy's thoughts while on the road.