From:
Yvonne Spence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2012 13:02:54 -0700
Hi, my name is Yvonne Spence.  I am a long time records manger.  I used to be the Deputy City Clerk in Austin, TX, but now I am the City Clerk in Fresno, CA.  I am a longtime user of the list serve, but I rarely post.  However a response that I received today from a State agency in California threw me for a loop and prompted me to post a question to this group.  Here is the response I received:

"The original statement may be discarded after two years so long as it can be accessed via a space saving device for the remaining five years (or longer).  We no longer recommend microfilm, as the technology is outdated and the statements must be accessible for the entire retention period, or longer, if the record is retained longer than seven years. "

I have always regarded microfilm to be the most trusted tool used for preservation purposes, is this no longer the case?

[cid:image001.png@01CD132C.672ACF40]
Yvonne Spence, CRM CMC
City Clerk
2600 Fresno Street