From:
mwhaider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2014 13:42:26 -0500
I guess we just love controversy:)  Some of the statements made in the
first posting/announcement seem to be more hyperbole just to start a
conversation.

I believe that Records Managers and Archivists should be the closest of
allies.  We both recognize that Life Cycle management of records and
information is the foundation of what we do.  When I was learning Records
Management way back in the early 1980's I learned to assign retention
codes/times to record categories at the beginning (during
creation/inventory), and then apply that retention when (and if) the time
requirement is expired.  I believe that both records managers and
archivists benefit from this life cycle concept because the Records Manager
will focus on those records/information that will eventually be destroyed;
and the archivist will focus on those records/information that have a
permanent retention. When we identify and assign the records retention
codes at the beginning we are better able to select the best media and
storage solutions to facilitate the maintenance and retention of all these
records/information.   Records Managers "collect" the temporary records and
verify that they are destroyed at the appropriate time.  Archivists
"collect" the permanent records and transition them for their
permanent/archival retention.

But our real work is to identify them at the beginning and ensure that all
the records/information are managed efficiently throughout their useful and
regulated lifecycle.  Overall, I believe we have more in common than not.
Thanks,

Mary

Mary W. Haider, MBA, CRM
Records & Information Manager and Consultant
865-983-1371