From:
Gordy Hoke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2014 11:56:40 -0500
There are several competent structured data archiving tools on the
market.  However, in my search about 15 months ago, I found extremely
limited and disappointing capability for managing structured data
archives as records.

It is a complex, daunting challenge.  If a system is decommissioned and
all the data archived, it is difficult to maintain individual record
attributes, including metadata.  For example, one product replaced the
original date of creation with the date of migration to the archive.
If a still-active system uses the archive to reduce server burden, there
can be issues of verity, compatibility, and addressing changes of basic
information.
In any case, the technical and sales people from the software vendors
showed little-to-no understanding or appreciation for the Principles and
needs of records management.

Finding almost no records functionality in the demonstrated structured
data archiving tools, I could not support their acquisition.  However,
in the process, the vendors did receive a "rude awakening" about RIM.
It is possible that new versions of the products will fill some of the
gaping holes.

Gordy
Gordon E.J. Hoke, CRM, IGP
NE Illinois, USA

On 3/11/2014 1:12 PM, Jesse Wilkins wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Received a request for assistance from a colleague. Please feel free to
> contact her directly if you have any information for her. You can also send
> to me or post here and I will ensure she gets it. Request follows:
>
> Wanted to pick the collective brains on the list for your experience or
> things you've heard about the Informatica data archive tool for structure
> data.  Also, of any policy management/IG/RM tools that plug into/work well
> with Informatica.
>
> In addition, what vendors have you had experience with on structured data
> archiving that you might suggest looking into?
>
> We are working on structured data archive and is a new area of focus for me
> to help with the project.  I've been researching but not finding much.
>
> Appreciate any insight or resources.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Donda L. Young
> Manager, IRM Administration