From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2014 09:23:32 -0700
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Ben Greene <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> My apologies, while the info is certainly helpful, perhaps I should
> rephrase my
> question to the following:  are there any legal regulations / citations for
> employee data (Personnel Selection; Salary Administration; Employee
> Evaluations; etc...) that requires an employer to retain these records longer
> than six years?

Ben-

In general when you discuss retention periods, it is typically active plus
what ever the period is. For example, with procurement records is is "End
of Contract, plus X years" or in the case of an employee file, "Separation
form employment, plus X years"

As to how long to retain an employee file, it isn't really that cut and
dried.  It depends (in part) on whether it's a private or public setting,
the industry the employee works in, the type of work they do, hazards they
may potentially be exposed to, and in some cases, the conditions of their
termination. Employees who may be exposed to potentially hazardous
substances or have lingering workplace injuries generally have longer
retention periods placed on their records.

Similar to Ginny, it's pretty uniform for our organization- our Federal
Agency client sets the retention as "75 years following Separation from
Employment"- period.  And this is for the "Official Personnel File".

The other items you asked about, such as Salary Administration and
Personnel Selection are NOT part of the Personnel file- they are
administrative records related to personnel or payroll actions, and are
filed independently and all have differing retention periods.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina Danville, CARIM Professional since 1972*