From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2014 09:37:42 -0700
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 5:23 AM, Jones, Virginia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> For those of you who still have microfilm records, read the comments from
> Robert Breslawski and Robert Zigami at the end of this article.  Vinegar
> syndrome is just one of the things that can go wrong with microfilm when it
> is developed improperly or stored and used improperly.
>
> Source:
>
> http://www.wkrg.com/story/24975826/thousands-of-microfilm-records-deteriorating

Agreed "the Roberts" posted some good information on this article.

I tried to comment to it twice, but the page "auto refreshes" and wipes out
your comment as it is being composed.

The problem with the article is it's the typical knee-jerk reaction to how
to resolve a problem with records in storage, whether they are in a film or
paper source format.  But as pointed out in the comments, when you have
something infrequently accessed in a stable media like film (if properly
processed and stored, an anticipated LE of 500 yrs) WHY would you decide it
is more logical to convert it to a digital format?

They should forensically determine what caused the film to start to
deteriorate, see if they can isolate the film that is showing any damage,
then correct the conditions to better protect the balance of the film.  In
many cases, there is a second set of film that can get rotated in to
replace the damaged film, or in the worst case, the film may be able to be
'blown back' and re-generated (if the source documents have been destroyed).

In most cases, the damage is due to improper environmental conditions in
the storage area (temperature and/or humidity), or commingling with other
media that can damage film.  This would include blueprints or sepias, NCR
"carbonless carbons", thermal FAX paper, rubber bands in direct contact
with the film, brown Kraft paper or many corrugated cardboard boxes.

While not everyone has to follow the Federal guidelines for Microforms
Management, 36CFR Part 1238 provides a great start, including a relatively
complete list of ANSI, ISO and other standards for the proper management of
records stored in these forms.

Larry

*Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CA RIM Professional since 1972*