From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:23:54 -0700
On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 11:55 AM, Blake Richardson
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> About a year ago I had the opportunity to share some time with a couple of
> RIM folks that many on the Listserv know (they shall remain nameless for
> purposes of this post) and discuss the future of RIM.  During the
> conversation I proposed removing the word "Records" from our job titles,
> department names etc, and referring to the folks in our profession and our
> departments as "Information Managers"..the Information Management
> Department - do we still have records managers for medium/large
> organizations only managing records?  Do records fall under the umbrella of
> information? (rhetorical).
>
> I believe, even though it is 2014 that there is still a stigma concerning
> records - I feel for many senior/executive level employees it still
> conjures up images of centralized file rooms, file folders and cabinets.
>  Can it be that the word "Records" is a hindrance to professional progress?
>
> I would like to know your thoughts?

I believe this is a discussion best held with libations involved, as I'm
sure last years was.

Changing titles or organizational names is typically something that happens
in other places within an organization- those of us in these functional
areas might suggest changes, but depending upon how rigid your structure or
the inter-dependencies involved in changing either or both, it may not
happen... in in my opinion, it would simply be window dressing.

In reality, the time to do this was over a decade ago, before organizations
structurally identified IT/IS departments either under their CIOs/CTOs or
in other aspects of their 'realms'.  The whole "Information Management"
argument would be lost now in many organizations becasue the suggestion
would be met with... "But we HAVE that department and THEY are responsible
for computers, servers, blah, blah, blah..." So I actually think that ship
has sailed.

What we as practitioners/professionals need to do a better job of (here we
go again...) is changing the culture of our organizations to understand
what we manage is not what is hard-wired and known specifically as
RECORDS... it hasn't been for decades.

I started pushing the concept in a prior position, then while doing
consulting with a wide range of clients and with my current employer that
what our functional unit does is provide "information asset management
services".  We use the practices, methods and policies we have always used
and apply those structures to the management of information, as an
organizational asset, no matter what form it takes.

I mean, think about it... if it weren't an asset (something that has value
to the organization) then why would they continue to manage it?  And sure,
part of it is because there are legal, statutory or regulatory
requirements... but STILL those are related to the value of the information
contained in the various assets... NOT SIMPLY because they meet the Federal
or organizational definition of a "Record".

So instead of "we" needing to rebrand the title of our positions or
functional units, "we" need to change the organizational culture about the
assets we are managing, increase the understanding of the value of the
information contained in those assets to the organization, and get them to
start thinking of the need to potentially call us and our function
something else... and maybe even relocate us within the organization to a
place better aligned with what we're doing.

I know I've been preaching this here for at least 15 years... I know I've
been successful within silos of my organization and I understand this isn't
an overnight thing that happens with a name change... I don't think
anyone's spouse changed when that happened, so I don't know why anyone
would think this would, unless you're taking on an entirely different
role.  Align yourself with others in your organization that can be
champions for selling your idea and eventually... it will be successful.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina Danville, CARIM Professional since 1972*