From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 2015 09:37:30 -0400
Everything old is new again.  Remember years ago how they talked about how we could trust email as it was so secure?  Remember when they told us CD’s would last 200 years?

The same guys that gave us encryption also put USB ports on the computer.

Sometimes when I visit clients and they talk about why they do not see the need for all this security with double vault door entrance systems with card access and combination locks. Everything is secure in our password protected system.  I alway laugh and walk over to a few work spaces and look around and soon you find their password stuck to the computer screen or pasted to the underside of the keyboard. Or if you want to be mean walk up to somebody and say we are checking the strength of their password and can they write it out on a post it note for IT to check.  They do and you walk away……with total access.

Richard King was talking about their who protocol for securing their Cloud and that might be interesting to hear how his University protects their Cloud.

But how do you all think the Cloud secures what they store?  It is not a Fort Knox type building.  How do they protect their system?  Do they have back up tapes? Do they vault those tapes.

I know of a few Clouds like AssureVault in Cleveland and in Columbus which have very secure protection for their back up tapes so their system is multi-level.  BanksDatacom.net in Greenville, NC offers Server Vaulting of their server system and Richards & Richards in Nashville has systems designed for security and they offer a media vault for all of the Business Continuity back-up tapes and others. Progrio is ultra secure but they are so compartmented and stand alone that few will expend those type of dollars and planning to be that secure.  But they specialize in certain industries where security is the ultimate concern.

But the biggest Clouds are often the weakest because they just rely on marketing to convince you that you are secure.

Larry Medina’s “trust but verify” philosophy of vendors is the best path. The Cloud is on a Manifest Destiny approach to have everything in the Cloud.  One Electromagnetic Pulse blast and we are back counting on our fingers and toes.

I have not seen a comprehensive study done by records managers on Cloud vendors.  Until I see that sign off, I will never trust the Big Cloud that is trying to be all consuming.

That would be an interesting discussion, records managers talking about their tours of Cloud vendors and their impressions.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM