From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 2015 11:18:56 -0800
Welcome to the list. As for your question, do you have a couple of years?  But really, remember that email is just a conveyance and it's "record-ness" is dependent on the content. The real issue is how you pull out the minor quantities of emails that are really records and where to put those and what do with all the rest. Our company had implemented a 90-day retention for the Exchange inbox. If you want/need to keep an email beyond the 90-days it needs to be moved to another repository. We have implemented an email archiving solution for people to put longer-term emails, but I'm not happy with the way it was set up.  It has 5 folders loosely corresponding to the timeframes in our retention schedule. People are supposed to drag only record emails to the folder that covers the retention period for that record. Yeah right .... Many people just drag everything to the folder with the longest retention. I would prefer that any emails that are records are moved to the database or repository where the other data it supports resides. Then we can put a short "reference" timeframe ... 3 to 5 years tops ... for non-record emails that need to be kept for longer than 90 days.

The thing is that the devil's in the details about how to make that happen with the least amount of decision-making or steps for the employee.

Nolene Sherman