From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2016 08:54:16 -0800
On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 6:04 AM, PeterK <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The increasingly digitized corporate landscape raises numerous information
> governance questions that must be answered to both remain regulatory
> compliant and maintain business success: What is a record? What is a
> document? What is the object of actions taken to govern, regulate or assure
> compliance with a designated rule? How are histories of those actions to be
> preserved?
>
> These questions are enough to drive many records managers to seek early
> retirement. But the answers to those questions are being authored and
> implemented within dozens of startups and disruptive consortia committed to
> transforming how we preserve the information that describes electronic data
> management histories.

"....What is a record? What is a
document? What is the object of actions taken to govern, regulate or assure
compliance with a designated rule? How are histories of those actions to be
preserved?... These questions are enough to drive many records managers to
seek early
retirement...."

Seriously?!?  If the "... increasingly digitized corporate landscape raises
numerous information governance questions..." it's because of a failure to
comprehend existing practices and the manner in which information assets
have been managed historically BEFORE creating a 'digitized corporate
landscape'.

I can't think of many of the records managers I've been associated with
over the past three decades who are going to 'seek early retirement'
because of any of these issues.  About the only thing causing any records
manager worth their weight in salt to retire early as changes occur (within
public or private records environments) is the "rush to convert" and
"adoption of tools sold as solutions", with a failure to properly
understand how information is managed first.

If you operate in a rules based environment, a failure to adequately
perform a functional requirements analysis PRIOR to seeking a tool to
assist in managing your information is a prescription for failure. And I've
seen it happen time and time again... ask the FBI, they tried it 3x and
after over a decade and millions of wasted (taxpayer) dollars, they're
FINALLY close to getting it right.  And they're not the only one.

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*