From:
"White, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 10:55:08 -0700
Larry Medina said:
>For retention, a good starting point is
>http://www.archives.gov/records_management/ardor/ which is the index site
>for the National Archives General Records Schedules.
>These are Federal requirements, but many make good sense for business in
>general as well.
>For legal issues, I rely a lot on the Cornell Law Library site
>http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/library/encyclopedia/ and the Code of
>Federal Regulations
>http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&tpl=%2Findex.tpl along

>with the use of search engines to find text form various states.

Another excellent tool/resource that I use is LexisNexis.  Their website
provides access to federal and state court cases, the CFR, administrative
codes to all 50 states as well as laws to a number of countries.  My senior
records analyst, a paralegal by trade, swears by it.

LexisNexis is not free, but if your legal department already has a
subscription, you might be able to establish an extra account at a
reasonable price.  Definitely worth the price, especially if your company
has operations in a number of states and/or in other countries.

Bruce L. White, MBA, CRM, PMP
Manager, Records Management
Sempra Global
619-696-4671
619-696-2534 (Fax)
619-952-7145 (Cell)

"While you're at it, you might as well
      add discovery to death and taxes."
                               Nicholas Ralph Baum

"Sempra Global is not the same company as the utility SDG&E or SoCal Gas,
and Sempra Global is not regulated by the California Public Utilities
Commission."