From:
"Roach, Bill J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 16:33:42 -0600
>>The toughest applications have large volumes of information from
multiple sources, in multiple media formats, that need to be assembled
and digested very quickly.  For example, preparing for a deposition
during legal discovery. <<

Interesting that this should be used as an example.  Several years ago
the organization I was with was involved in a very complex litigation.
Parties included the feds, our companies, half a dozen large natural gas
companies and outside counsel scattered across the country.

During the discovery process we produced several tons of documents, film
and fiche, wore out several copy machines making some 20 plus million
copies, and imaged several million into our litigation support system.
We used the documents specifically to support the deposition process.
We had some 160 depositions scheduled with attorneys holding depositions
at sites around the country.  Some attorneys were doing up to three
depositions a week.  Our task was to provide the attorneys with a short
synopsis of information regarding the role of the individual as well as
what they knew or said and when.  During the actual deposition process,
we had staff manning cell phones and fax machines to research and
retrieve information being discussed in the deposition.  We often could
provide answers while the individual was still answering questions about
the subject.  The result?  A settlement for several hundred million
dollars and enforcement of our contracts.

When we were done our external counsel told us that:
"your system capabilities and the folks that were using it made the
difference.  In the paper world, there was no way that your organization
would have been able to afford the resources to match what was done.
Additionally, even with unlimited staff, there is no way to research and
respond in such detail or with such accuracy."

We had collections on most of the folks being disposed that numbered
into the thousands to a couple of hundred thousand documents.  When you
compare the efficiency, effectiveness, flexibility and responsiveness of
an electronic solution, paper isn't even in the same class.

Bill R