Sender:
From:
Sharon Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:33:58 -0700
Virginia writes:
"As I said yesterday, the six required CRM exams test on the RIM body of
knowledge, not coursework.  The exam questions do not come from any one
source, so, while taking a RIM course can be helpful overall, it should not
be considered a source of specific information that may be included on the
exams."

Well said Virginia!

Speaking as a candidate and one who has recently taken/passed parts 1 thru
5, the CRM examination process seems best described as a life-experience
measurement tool. When I think about the minimum requirements to qualify to
just take the exam, I do not see how one could really pass without at least
many years of experience. And those years need to be well rounded
business/agency hands-on experience.

The intent of the application and exam process is not to measure what you
may have learned from a book. As anyone that has attended college can
attest, what we learn - theory, principles, formulas - and how the world
really works is not one and the same. How you think, how you communicate,
and how you implement ideas & concepts cannot be learned in class or through
books. This list & just doing my job are the best resources I've found.

Several years ago, Stephen King wrote an article on writing style in "The
Writer's Digest." In it he passed along the best piece of advice he had ever
received as a young writer - if you want to be a writer, get out there &
write." Not bad advice for us as records managers!

Sharon Burnett
Seattle WA