Sender:
From:
Gary Vocks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 09:50:50 -0500
I'd say that it depends on if you are you talking about a box full of paper
with no file folders or a typical box of files sent for microfilming.  Also,
is it bond paper, NCR paper, etc?  Paper thicknesses vary.   If you're
talking about a simple box full of paper you can make an educated guess by
looking at a ream of 20# paper.  A full ream is about 2" thick and contains
500 sheets.  So a foot of shelf space would hold 3000 sheets.  Of course,
once the paper is taken out of the package and run through a printer it
would tend to be less compressed and therefore be fewer sheets in the same
space.  IMHO, there are too many variables to make a remote guess.  Grab a
couple of sample inches of paper off the shelf and count the number of pages
in the sample.  Multiply it out and you might get a rough estimate of the
total.

Are you wanting to estimate what it would cost to send a project out to a
service bureau?  Or are you trying to estimate the amount of time it would
take to scan a project in-house?  Just curious.

Gary Vocks
Records Management Officer
Southern Illinois University
School of Medicine