Sender:
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:20:49 -0500
From:
Gus Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Noticed the NPS mentioned here.  Just wanted to note that here in Pensacola,
due to IVAN, our Fort Pickens National Park which is located at the most
western end of Santa Rosa Island (barrier island) was severely damaged by
the storm.  There were several park buildings located in the fort
area...including a museum, mgt. buildings and preservation building
(humidity/temp. control for artifacts).  The fort seems to be in pretty good
shape despite the storm....but the other buildings are severely
damaged...including the artifacts within them...thousands actually.  A
restoration crew is working daily there to restore the artifacts...freeze
drying documents, washing items, cleaning mold and mildew from stuff, etc.
They go daily to the fort by boat since the road down the island to the fort
is gone in most areas.  The island was breached by the Gulf....water coming
across island from Gulf to Pensacola Bay in two large areas just inside the
park gates.  Of course this was evident after the storm.  I'm sure the
entire island was covered by the initial tidal surge. Anyway, I watched an
interesting locally broadcast program yesterday about the recovery efforts
of the artifacts.  The restoration of Ft. Pickens park is the most expensive
NPS recovery effort of any parks currently under way....estimating 30
million dollars cost for rebuilding and restoration work.

Gus
UWF/Pensacola, FL