Sender:
From:
JESSE WILKINS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:53:37 -0600
I think both Dan and Larry make good points. The error rate here is not
simply the accuracy of the bitstream, which for all intents is perfect, as
Dan notes. The error rate is compounded by user error, particularly when
transferring from older, perhaps deprecated media types to newer ones and
from proprietary to other types. For example, someone attempting to migrate
500 floppy disks to a single CD may lose more information, all else being
equal, than someone doing a CD-to-CD media refresh. Similarly, someone
converting their data from an old FileMagic or Paradox-based solution on CDs
or 200MB Zip drives to a current solution built on top of MS SQL Server
2000, for which the images are then written out to DVDs, there is a
significantly greater potential for data loss due to user error and
potential data incompatibilities. In the aggregate this might approach 1-2%.

One previous point that Dan and Larry made, regarding TCO for film vs.
digital. Cost to film can be significantly higher because the amount of data
is so much higher. An organization of 1000 users may receive as much as
200GB+ of email a month (Forrester, Gartner). If even 1% of that is
important enough to keep for more than 10 years, that's still 2GB of
messages that would have to be printed or filmed, or perhaps 100,000
messages per month at 20KB per (Osterman). That's a lot of printing or
filming, a lot of stuff to store, and if you want to then make a use copy
from the master copy the volume doubles. It's just not feasible.

Larry's points on electronic migration were spot-on, as well. It is
expensive, for the reasons listed in my first paragraph as well as the fact
that it has to be done every 5-10 years. It's not the media that goes bad,
it's the hardware and especially the software.

So what do we do? We as end users, consultants, and even vendors need to
start pressuring the software vendors for backwards compatibility and
standards-based interoperability (XML anyone?), the hardware vendors for
backwards compatibility (see Blu-Ray type technologies such as Sony PDD and
Plasmon UDO vs. red-laser based CD and DVD), and the media vendors to make
sure their media is high-quality.

I don't know if there is a place for microfilm that cannot be readily filled
by digital, subject to the limitations above (and they are significant). I
think film remains a comfortable solution for organizations that want to do
archival, but I don't believe most Fortune 500 or Global 2000 companies are
seriously looking at investing in film these days because of the sheer
volumes of information involved. Happy to hear opposing view....

My .02 on a beautiful Colorado morning,

Jesse Wilkins
CDIA+, EDP, LIT/ERM, ICP
Principal