Sender:
From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:38:57 -0700
Let's set aside any legal requiremetn to film. If gotta ya gotta.

When you ask this question keep in mind you are asking some of the best
buggy whip manufacturers in the world about the need for and the future of
buggy whip making. Keep in mind that we (for the most part) do not drive or
in most cases heavily influence business decisions. I was talking to Allen
Greenspan over wine the other night and he totally slammed me on my economic
plan.

If your org. is heavily invested in microfilm and has realized its ROI then
judicious continuance might be the order of the day. If you are looking to
implement or re-engineer your processes, I would look to more current
technology. Keep in mind that many of the costs and issues we address are
"cost of doing business" issues. It is important to know about them and plan
for them, but don't let them keep you from you organizational obligation.

Should you stay with microfilm?

Not in the long run, Find a path that gets you current as fast and
economically as possible.

Should you image all your records?

Not my call. As I pointed out before you may not need to image most of your
records. Storage might be the best alternative.

If imaging is a business need what should you use?

There are many tools available. Find the one that fits your organizations
specific needs. Try to stay "out of the box" as much as possible. Try to get
products that comply with existing standards.

Should I use PDF, TIFF, etc.?

Welcome to the fight. Fifteen rounds, Marquis of Queensbury Rules, a knock
down ends the round.

Should I listen to Larry?

Probably. Take everything you read on the list with a grain of salt. As you
can see we can get off target pretty fast.

Chris Flynn