Sender:
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:37:51 -0500
From:
Dean DeBolt <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
Both the archives and records management lists have seen mentions of the new
Google Desktop item in Peter K's postings.   I actually downloaded this the
first day it came out and utilized it for several days.   I was impressed
with it, then ...

Occasionally I utilize my work computer to post a payment to a credit card
or other
bill.    So I took one of the credit card names and did a search on that
today...and to
my surprise, the Google desktop had captured all the screen images of my
account
such as balances, payments, etc....in fact, every screen that I had looked
at was
carefully stored and accessible.    But it was also accessible to anyone who
utilizes
my office machine (e.g. co-workers, IT techs, etc.).

So I decided to remove the Desktop program from my computer although I do
understand you can specify what areas you want it to search or don't want it
to search.    I already use dtSearch to create indexes to my files so I can
quickly find
something even if I don't remember the file name.

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections/West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750