Sender:
From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:40:10 -0700
Carol, I think we need to focus on the record as a well defined entity
serving a specific purpose or business need. This sounds simple, but
within the diverse electronic universe we are facing, it can be quite
complex an issue.

I think part of the problem with Records Management right now is the
confusion between record, evidence, and information. "Record" occupies a
space that can be defined and managed. "Evidence" covers a broader area
than "record" - not all evidence is in the form of a record, yet
evidence may take the form of information. I think part of the problem
is that we take steps designed really to control evidence that often
undermine our efforts to control records. My suggestion is that the
dangers associated with evidence go far beyond the scope of what records
management can control. "Information" is even a broader, more amorphous
entity. Again, efforts to control "information" entail taking steps that
may undercut efforts to control records by adding costs and levels of
control that may not be necessary for the management of records.

Suggestions have been made that Enron, Worldcom, and other corporate
scandals could somehow have been avoided had good records management
been in place. These are the horror stories used to justify records
management - "Don't leave your company exposed!" My guess is that
assumption is based on the idea that the evidence would then not been
available for legal action. Yet the problems with Enron, et al go far
beyond records management, and represent high level, wide spread
corporate corruption. Records management cannot and should not be
expected to provide the solution to such a problem. At a minimum, the
ethics alone are skewed.

Records management begins and ends with the creation, maintenance, and
disposition of records within records keeping systems serving defined
organizational needs. I think our best chance for success is limiting
our scope to this idea that is basic in concept, yet so challenging in
execution.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records & Distribution Services Manager
Multnomah County FREDS