Sender:
From:
"Welch, Miranda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:04:09 -0000
Audrey,

Document management systems represent our best hope yet of managing all corporate information within an electronic environment. Hopefully you will have chosen one that has a records management module - although I think in many instances a really good process engine is just as critical.

Soemtimes I think definitions add to the confusion rather than alleviate it. In the organisations I have been working with we have taken the approach that we want to manage the information as soon as it hits the repository (as a document, record, threaded discussion or sound bite). So generally we use a file plan / taxonomy to organise the information, and then the records management bits such as retention can happen in the background if they are linked to the file plan.

In some instances vendors/systems like to have a distinction between records and documents, and they have the facility to 'declare as record' - I interpret this as part of the lifecycle of a document - making it time-bound and inviolate. It doesn't change the fact that I manage the document throughout its lifecycle even when it turns into a record. The retention schedules therefore apply to anything, whether record, document or web content that has been classified into a folder structure. An integrated approach!

Re processes - information is an integral part of processes. If you get a good process system in your document management system - you can have information going through its process - and the end of it - close off the documents and declare them as records, and ensure they are all 'filed' in the appropriate folder of the file plan - so the retention can occur when appropriate. All this can happen automatically.

Re file plans - classification is essentially grouping like things together. So - it is possible to have multiple taxonomies depending on the diversity of the organisation. Most organisations need a functional one at least - but they may others to cater for large groups of records that should be grouped together for some reason. It is not advisable to base a file plan on an organisation chart - I have had to redo many that have quickly become defunct as the organisation structure changes.

I could go on further about the benefits of using a file plan (even in an EDMS with sophisticated searching) - but this is probably long enough. If you want to discuss more, feel free to contact me off list - details below.

Miranda Welch CRM

Miranda Welch | Senior Consultant | BearingPoint New Zealand
PO Box 2038 | Auckland | New Zealand
Office +64 9 362 3241 | Mobile +64 21 245 9346