Sender:
From:
Mark Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:41:07 -0400
Emma -

As a former resident of Ontario (Ingersoll, but spent a fair bit of time
consulting in the Toronto area), I am pleased to respond.

Reasons for not storing onsite are relatively simple.  In a disaster
scenario, both the original and security copy can be lost, and the
concept of a vital records program and business continuity with them.
In the Toronto area, you will be subject at least to storms, fire, and
the threat of terrorist attack (believe it or not, the offices of both
the Egyptian and Israeli airlines are in the same building on Bloor
Street).

Depending where you are, inexpensive may not be a real option.  Toronto
is home to several commercial records centers, none of them cheap.  What
is obviously a more economical is to exchange vital records with a
second corporate location, which you were doing.  This arrangement,
however, is not ideal since a Toronto-area disaster might effect both
locations.  Changes in the situation may be all for the best, even
though it does not seem so now.

An important option is to take advantage of Bloorview Macmillan's
association with the University of Toronto.  I would suggest that you
contact the University of Toronto Archives and Records Management
Service to see what standard U. of T. policy is on vital records, and
indeed if it has a standing agreement with any commercial service
provider in this area - or better yet will allow you to use their
facilities as an affiliate.  You can access the UTARMS website at
http://www.library.utoronto.ca/utarms/.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Mark