Sender:
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:45:14 -0700
From:
Liz Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Hugh - having been on this listserv for 3+ years, I have read many of your
posts and respect your knowledge in records management.  But as an RHIA who
has worked managing healthcare records in various hospitals and at various
vendors for 30+ years, I'd like to comment on your statements below.

MRI and CAT scans and other radiology studies are usually copied for release
- the written report describing the results of the exam is not sufficient
for continuing patient care.  It is not uncommon for these copies to be
given to patients to transport to their next healthcare appointment,
especially if you are going out of town or out of state.  Note that
originals are seldom given out because obviously some people never return
them even when asked to.  And just because they didn't give you an 'out
card', that doesn't mean that the department doesn't maintain a record of
your request.  Just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't
happen.

I agree they should have asked you for ID, and in my experience this would
have happened HIPAA or no HIPAA.

Granted, some departments are more lax and less well-managed than others but
you could say that about any place and any business.  I think your statement
that "Healthcare places don't manage records" is a colossal generalization
based on what appear to be two encounters.  And an insult to those of us in
the business.  And it's really gotten my dander up (in case you couldn't
tell).

Will get off my soapbox now.

Oh, and please return the films as requested.

Liz Allan, RHIA
Director of Client Programs
SOURCECORP Deliverex
San Jose, CA