Sender:
From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:55:35 -0400
Emily,

You might want to looking at the Massachusetts Archive's website at http://www.sec.state.ma.us/arc/arcrmu/rmurds/rdssrds.htm.  They have a statewide retention schedule which includes public affairs records.  If the university is state supported, chances are they are required to follow the state retention schedule.

NARA also has a general schedule that covers public affair records, as well, at http://www.archives.gov/records_management/ardor/grs14.html

If nothing else, these are good places to start.

Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
NARA - Central Plains Region
Kansas City, MO
816-268-8035
"No one takes a risk with
  the expectation it will fail"
                    -Peter L. Bernstein

For my internship for the class, I am assisting a university's Public Affairs office implement a records management program (no program exists at the school). I am a bit stumped as to the best way to determine a retention schedule for these records, as the Public Affairs office says that they need many types of files in order to answer reference questions (I should add that this school also doesn't have an archive).