Sender:
From:
Audrey Byrd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:38:55 -0400
John--I earlier posted a question about structuring an EDMS. I found this
Canadian document that describes a functional classification scheme with
its sub categories based on the logical flow of the process within that
function. (See the table showing old and new classification scheme.) It
looks good until I try to map our functions and get stuck on the first
one. And, the daunting task of creating one for the entire company with
everyone's input and buy-in...well, it gives me a headache. We too use
Lotus Notes but we don't really use it to manage documents. We have a
concern right now about how to get Lotus Notes emails that are records
into the EDMS.

I would like to hear more about how others have created a records
classification scheme that is function based.

http://www.rmicanada.com/functional_classification.htm

Audrey Byrd
EDMS System Coordinator
E&O Administrative Services Team
865.558.2458
865.558.2047 fax

We are in midst of implementing an EDRMS and as the project manager and
records manager, I have the enviable task of start to finish on this
project.  Our records are all paper based.   We manage our records through
Lotus Notes.  Recently, we purchased EDRMS software and are in the throws
of migrating the data from Notes into our new software.  Our file
classification structure in Notes was based on the departmental structure
of the organization.   In implementing the EDRMS we are looking at a
functional structure for our unstructured data and the new structured data
coming in from Notes.  We are struggling with knowing how to "marry" the
two together into a format that is easy to use and understand for our
users.  Apart from going into each of the 100,000 + records to ensure they
are indexed properly, is there an easier way to do this?  Is there anyone
on the list who has had this problem in the past and cares to share how
they handled it?  Any advise would be appreciated.