Sender:
From:
"Millican, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:18:21 -0400
Jean,

You asked: We are doing administrative retention schedules at our Firm and have a
number of portraits of partners (as in paintings) who are long gone. Does
anyone have a suggestion as to a retention period?

Portraits can be, and most often are classified as "historical" in nature. There are many organizations, if for the long haul not your own, that might be interested in portraits, especially if the portraits are of those from your law firm. I might suggest that if your firm is not interested in maintaining them, try contacting other institutions where these persons might have had significant impact: colleges, universities, law schools, hospitals, libraries, maybe even families.

Being the "lover of history" that I am, my professional position on this may be a bit skewed. My personal position is most surely skewed. I tend to hold onto everything. You should see my "personal" retention and disposition schedule. It's good that most of it is not governed by legal regulation.

Good luck!

Bill

Bill Millican
eSentio Technologies