Sender:
From:
Inna Bulgak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 11:24:37 -0800
Hello Natasha, I guess this is the time I introduce myself properly.
I am a records manager in one of the local (similar to our former "obkom") institution.
I am from Odessa, and came here in March 1991. Before the terrible "collapse" of everything.
The worst part of this law is (in my opinion) in the open possibility for anyone who wants to make money of selling archives to do so. The Governement pays a lot for any documents that leave Russia - the were doing it starting from 1917 and keep doing it.
Sorry, it is the painfull point with me.
I will be very glad to keep in touch with you, if you feel like it.
If for whatever reason this is not favoarble -  I will understand.
Regards,
Inna
"A.Khramtsovsky" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Inna,

Yes, I dislike the law.

As I understand the new Russian law, it has more to do with the distribution
of property and power. I've read a number of favorable comments from
regional governments. No wonder - without supervision, they are free to do
with the evidence of their activity as they wish.

Personally I believe that the lawmakers and the public don't realize the
consequences. The main problem is that from now on the preservation of the
records depends on understanding, good will and prosperity of the local
governments (many of which have no spare money in their pockets). Until now
the archives were at least partially funded from federal and regional
budgets. In many cases that funding was their lifeline.

With regulatory control removed, important records can be lost. Even before
the new law, there were cases when archives refused to accept the records
that must be accepted by law (for example, personnel records in case of the
bankruptcy of an enterprise). Archives refused the records because nobody
was going to pay them. Sure outcome is pension problems and loss of benefits
for many people.

In previous times Rosarchiv (Russian Archives) was responsible for the
development of recordkeeping policy, general retention schedules and
obligatory standards for all the government agencies. Now it can only
recommend and assess "external" suggestions.

Of course, there's always hope. In Russia, laws are changed frequently.
Sometimes they are even obeyed! :)

Regards,

Natasha

Natasha Khramtsovsky