Sender:
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:32:54 +1100
From:
"Gerard J. Nicol" <[log in to unmask]>
Sharon,

The thing that will definitely shorten hard disk life is the number of times
it spins up.

In a server for instance the disk is always spun up, so even with a
commodity level drive you should expect better than 3 years.

Unfortunately with Notebooks, the drive is constantly being spun up and
powered down to conserve battery. If you have your notebook powered on the
mains most of the time consider setting your hard disk to stay spinning
Control Panel->Power Options.

Gerard
TapeTrack Pty Ltd