Sender:
From:
"Michael, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:10:02 -0700
I don't disagree with anything that Peter responds to from my prior
message (although I could rebut some), but I think it depends on the
purpose for moving the message out of the email program in the first
place.  Are you trying to reclaim server space?  Are you trying to keep
users from saving messages on their hard drives?  Are you trying to
share the message information in a shared server environment?  Are you
trying to retain messages according to a retention schedule?  Do you
need to retain the "messaging functionality" (forwarding, responding,
etc.)?  Do you need to have the "envelope" information?  Do you
anticipate that your organization will change their email program?

Understanding why you are trying to get messages out of the email
program, and the consequences of each alternative, will go a long way
toward helping define the best approach for your specific situation.

I did another quick test on an msg file.  I was not able to open the
file in word processing (MSFT or other) software.  So if independence of
the email program is important to you, then the msg format may not be
the way to go.  Although, if your driver is not software independence,
and you believe you won't change your email program, then the msg format
may be right for you.  BTW, you can open rtf file formats in word
processing software.

Lee Michael, CRM