Sender:
From:
John Guthrie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:58:43 -0800
"Just in case" must be like CYA.
We have recently had a situation where a prior department director
authorized destruction of files (IAW the retention schedule), the
destruction was completed, then the replacement director and existing staff
began requesting files that had been disposed. Seems they disagree with the
relationships around the old water cooler. The offending office does have
copies of the disposal notices, and had allegedly purged their indexes but
they now insist the files should have been retained. Granted it has only
been a year or so since the disposal, not 10, but I am glad we have all of
the correspondence related to this disposal, and will retain same for a
considerable period of time. And, yes, the retention period has now been
updated to reflect the extended retention period for administrative value.

John Guthrie
Records Manager
City of Oceanside