Sender:
From:
"Millican, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:24:43 -0500
Julianna Trivers, Records Analyst/Archivist wrote and asked: We are re-evaluating the retention periods for our records management system.  Once records have been destroyed, how long should the records of them in a records management system be retained?

There might be two questions here.

1. Once records are destroyed should the electronic "record" of those records be maintained in an electronic records management system, document management system, or e-mail management system, or on a backup disk or tape; and if so, for how long? Great question! Tough answer!

2. Is the second part of this question should the destruction record be kept, and for how long should it be kept? Easier question to answer, at least from my perspective

For your consideration:
1. The answer probably is "no" the record doesn't need to be kept in the system. It really is dependent upon what the retention process requires. It should be safe to assume that the destroyed records have met the retention period and the process for initial and final disposition and have been officially destroyed. Unless there is a very specific reason for maintaining those records in electronic form, they should be "deleted" (destroyed) from the system. Not doing so, may violate the retention and disposition process.

2. It has my professional position the record of destroyed records becomes a "permanent" record. Not taking this position could result in records obtaining a status of having "never existed". Not sure that I would want to be the responsible party in that scenario. Personally, I just can't imagine not keeping a record of destroyed records. If there are other positions, I would sure like to hear them.

Bill

Bill Millican
eSentio Technologies

________________________________

We are re-evaluating the retention periods for our records management
system.  Once records have been destroyed, how long should the records of
them in a records management system be retained?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Julianna Trivers
Records Analyst/Archivist
City of Thunder Bay Archives