Sender:
From:
Lawrence Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:48:37 -0800
Nancy Allard <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>The National Archives and Records Administration published a proposed rule >today relating to scheduling Federal records. This proposal would make >existing approved records schedules and future records schedules applicable >to bodies of records regardless of the medium in which the records are created >and maintained. Both the Federal agency (in submitting the schedule) and >NARA (in approving the schedule) would be able to specify that certain >disposition authorities are valid only for the current media/format of the >records. The proposed rule is intended to reduce the records scheduling >workload for both agencies and NARA, allowing both to focus resources on >other critical records management needs.

Okay, maybe I'm missing something here (?)

36CFR, Part 1220.14, Definitions

Records include all books, papers, maps, photographs, MACHINE READABLE MATERIALS, or other documentary materials, REGARDLESS OF PHYSICAL FORM OR CHARACTERISTICS.....

So, how does this proposed rule change anything?  I mean, if it's a RECORD, and it's sacheduled, then there should be no need to provide further clarification for how to handle it.

In addition, how does this proposal impact the current guidance provided in 1228.270 (a) where it says:

 "...if the agency cannot provide proper care and handling of the media (see part 1234 of this chapter), or if the media are becoming obsolete and the agency cannot migrate the records to newer media, the agency shall contact NARA to arrange for timely transfer..."

I must be missing something in this proposal, but I don't see the logic in developing a proposal that seems to muddy up something that was extremely clear in the first place (?)

Larry