Sender:
From:
Jim Mullen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:31:10 -0800
On 11/19/04 Tanya wrote:
"I am interested in learning what others do if they find currency in their records, and what policies they may have in place for handling such discoveries."

Assuming that "judicial records" are legal case files, I believe that this should be handled according to your retention for legal case files.  If that primary purpose has been served and the retention expired, then secondary value, the historical value, should be applied and then and only then should the currency be transferred to the historical society.  If it is transferred, the transaction should be documented.

My 2 Monday cents

Jim

Jim Mullen, Records Manager
Oregon University System