Sender:
From:
"Roach, Bill J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:36:17 -0600
>>They say: Russian recordkeeping tradition is at least 300 years old,
and it always worked well - so why bother?<<

They must be related to some of the folks we have in the US.
Fortunately, most of them have traded:
- Typewriters with onion-skin paper and carbon paper in favor of
computers, printers and email.
- Horses and buggies for cars and trucks.
- Iceboxes and the daily visit by the ice man for a freezer and 31
flavors of ice-cream, and,
- Steamships and the pony express for email and the postal service.

Unfortunately, most still believe that:
- Everyone knows that you have to keep records for 7 years.
- e-mail is private.
- The most logical business reason for retaining records is
just-in-case, and,
- Paper and microfilm will last forever.

Sounds like we may not be all that different.  I think as ARMA members
we can learn a lot from folks who have been keeping records for 300
years.  Keep after them.

Bill Roach, CRM
Enterprise EDMS Coordinator
State of North Dakota