Sender:
From:
Peggy Heger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 11:33:23 +0100
Hello All,

I have a question regarding EDMS project costs:

I am currently in the situation where I am taking over on a pre-existing
project to plan for, procure, and implement an EDMS for one department of
my employer, a  Pharmaceutical company.

To date, no substantial consideration has been given to the project budget,
and it has been determined by the team that it is not fitting to have a
full scale cost/benefit analysis done at this time. Instead, we are looking
for "benchmark" cost examples to provide a general estimate of how little
to how much the project will possible run us.

The below general conditions apply:
1. We are looking at a web-based product
2. We are looking for a "standard" full DMS suite, including such features
to version control, check-in check out, hierarchical classification/file
structure, good scalability, we are not looking for an ERMS module at this
time.
3. I know that licensing arrangements for these products vary widely, but,
in general,we would need to have a license where we could have approx 25
concurrent viewers of the documents in the system. Other rights would be
very limited, with only about half a dozen users who could actually create
or edit documents or profiles/attribute forms,
4. We are assuming that hardware, server costs would be minimal (perhaps
mistakenly, we shall see)
5 We are not factoring in consultant costs at this time - though we may
likely need to use one for the installation, and configuration
6. We are not including staff rates at this time - in addition, creation of
business rules, etc. will be done in-house
7. Costs would be from procurement to implementation - not including
ongoing maintainance.

My question is, does anybody have any idea of a broad estimate of total
costs for this sort of project? I realize that costing such projects is not
straight forward, but any information that would provide some form of
initial guidance, particularly gained in their own experience, would be
wonderful. Likewise, if anybody knows of good online sources of information
on this topic, please let me know.

Finally, while I welcome whatever help I can get, I would ask that I not
recieve any sales inquiries from vendors.

Thank you,

Peggy Heger
Clinical and Non-Clinical Records Manager
Actelion Pharmaceuticals Ltd / Gewerbestrasse 16 / CH-4123  Allschwil /
Switzerland
Phone: +41 61 487 76 79 / Fax: +41 61 487 34 10 / [log in to unmask]
/ www.actelion.com

The information of this e-mail and in any file transmitted with it is
strictly confidential and may be legally privileged.
It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended
recipient, any copying, distribution or any other use of this e-mail is
prohibited and may be unlawful. In such case, you should please notify the
sender immediately and destroy this e-mail.
The content of this e-mail is not legally binding unless confirmed by
letter. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.
 For further information about Actelion please see our website at
http://www.actelion.com.