Sender:
From:
"Waltman, Dennis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 14:00:48 -0500
I think it is dangerous to assume "anything you add to the website will most likely be taken from other documents you already have established retention schedules for, so any information given to your website audience should already be backed up with more 'traditional' records."  Intranet, Extranet and Internet pages are becoming a key distribution method for  documentation for many businesses.  It is entirely reasonable to expect the final version of this documentation to be that which appears on the web page.

Even if every word, phrase and sentence that appears on the web page appears in other more "traditional" records, a web page is more than the text.  How the information is portrayed or provided could be as important as the exact text of the page.  The web page appearance or design may be the focus of a query.  It is important to retain exactly what the users of the information saw [or heard] when using the WebPages.

Keeping previous versions of a website is important for similar reasons why we keep previous records retention schedules beyond the current version.  The previous website copies may not be relevant to the present, but they are relevant if your business ever has to determine what appeared on your website at a previous date, or to prove that something didn't appear at a previous date.  While previous records retention schedules are often kept for the life of the company, there probably is not a need to keep previous WebPages so long.  However, it is quite possible that the length of time it would be prudent to store the WebPages may exceed rotation time for the backup tapes.  In such a case, an alternative method of storage would be mandatory.

Paul Dennis Waltman
Data Administrator
Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
999 Peachtree Street, NE