Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:17:24 -0800
At 11:08 AM 12/7/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>I need the help of our Listserv members.  We are currently advertising for
>bids for offsite storage.  In our specs one line states:
>
>"No hazardous wastes, perishable food items, flammable liquids, etc.
>stored in same facility."
>
>This comes from a paragraph in an earlier set of specs that said,
>
>"Perishable food goods, flammable items, liquids and any other such
>materials must be stored a minimum of 200 feet from County records."
>
>Now one of our bidders is asking, "Are companies allowed to commingle
>other types of storage (for example, household goods, etc.) with Harrison
>County's records?"
>
>It may just be ammunition against one of the other bidders, but I know
>this facility (our current vendor) is storing a few unusual items, like a
>moose head and an astronaut's spacesuit (in boxes!), in their climate
>control area.

=)  Yes, it likely IS intended as ammunition against a specific bidder, and
if you have no problem with the storage of household goods in a close
proximity with your records, then this shouldn't ba an issue for you.  The
assumption being made here is that household goods are potentially more
flammable than other materials, and that there is the added possibility
that other items may be stored co-mingled with the household goods that
could be more dangerous that haven't been detailed on the cartons or their
bills of lading.

Essentially, it's a risk management issue for you to consider.  What's a
greater concern?  The limited volume of household goods in an facility or
your records being stored in a warehouse filled with an unlimited volume of
other combustibles (paper) with no firewalls or compartments to limit the
possible spread of fire throughout a facility?  I'd have to assume one or
the other will be something you need to choose between...

>I was sure there was something in NFPA 232 or ARMA's "Records Center
>Operations" that addressed this, but I can't find it.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

 From NFPA 232:

2.4* Operations in Records Storage Areas.
In archival facilities, records storage areas shall be separated from
processing areas, offices, and research rooms by a fire wall. Wherever
records centers and archives are located within the same facility, the
archival storage area shall be separated from the records center area by a
fire wall.
Other fire risks in the records storage areas shall be reduced by the
following means:
(1)Using manual instead of power-operated equipment
(2)Using electric instead of gas-fueled fork lifts
(3)Prohibiting the use of portable space heaters, lights on extension
cords, hot plates, coffee makers, duplicating devices, battery chargers,
welding or cutting torches, and other such ignition sources within storage
areas
(4)Prohibiting the storage of oils, paints, or other flammables in or
contiguous to the records areas

2.5 Housekeeping.

2.5.1
Stairwells, corridors, doorways, and any other portions of the means of
egress for a building shall be free of combustibles, trash containers, and
other materials. Trash shall be collected and disposed of at the end of
each work day and more often if necessary.

2.5.2
Electrical rooms, mechanical rooms, and telephone closets shall be kept
free of combustibles and locked. Stacks, exhaust ducts, and filters shall
be cleaned as frequently as necessary to prevent the buildup of combustible
dusts and fibers.

2.5.3
Combustible packing materials, such as shredded paper, Styrofoam peanuts,
plastic, and excelsior, shall be stored in metal containers with
self-closing covers. Areas where packing materials cannot be protected
using these methods, such as dedicated crating and packing areas, shall be
enclosed in 1-hour fire-resistive construction or shall be equipped with
sprinklers.

2.5.4
Dumpsters or compactors used for bulk collection of trash or recyclable
paper shall be constructed of metal with metal or plastic covers. Dumpsters
and other large trash containers, if inside buildings, shall be stored as
follows:
(1)In trash rooms having both automatic sprinklers and a 1-hour fire
resistance rating
(2)In loading dock areas having both automatic sprinklers and a 1-hour fire
resistance rating
This all brings to mind something that bears mentioning... it seems that
there was an error in the date originally provided related to the
submission of comments in the form of formal proposals to the NFPA
regarding Standard NFPA232, "the Standard for the Protection of Records",
and that the actual deadline for submission of comments isn't until
mid-January 2005.

SO.... on that basis, I would urge those of you who submitted comments here
to contact one of the three of us you sent comments to for some guidance on
how to formally submit proposals to the NFPA, and YES... you are ALL ABLE
to submit proposals, you don't need to be a member of NFPA or of ARMA or
any other organization. You simply need to be an involved or interested
party who is impacted by the conditions of facilities used to store records
and the Standards used to establish the minimums for protection of records
stored in these facilities.

Larry