Sender:
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 11:48:37 -0500
From:
As the owner of a search firm dedicated to Content Management, I'll make
this recommendation to everyone. Do not base your decision on who to use on
pricing, name or the promises of a salesperson.

It this industry it is all about one thing, the quality of the Project
Managers. It is simply not good enough for a vendor to say, we have great
PM's,(they likely do have one or two great ones) but, are they the ones that
will be working on your (very important) project.

I have seen companies fortunes turned around (to both the negative and the
positive) by the quality of their PM's.

Regardless of what you hear about DocuTrust (as owner of the firm, I do not
make comments on companies), you need to find out about the quality of their
PMs. Even if someone replies to you on the listserve about the great
experience they had, it is likely due to the PM. Find out if that PM has
left or is working on a major client (as they tend to do) and will not be
available to you. You need to know as much as you can about your potential
PM.

My advice is to ask your salesperson to allow you to interview the PM that
you will be assigned. Ask them how long they have been with the firm, how
many projects they have worked on, what types of projects they worked on and
how they went. If they tell you that the went perfectly, they are not
telling the truth. These types of projects have problems, what separates the
bad from the good and the good from the great is how they handle the
problems.

If you like the PM you are assigned that is a good reason to choose a
vendor, if not as President of the company to assign a better PM.

A word of advice to any vendors who might be reading this, good Project
Managers are like "hen's teeth" they are rare and difficult to find. If you
have good one's do everything you can to keep them happy (or else they will
likely send our firm their resumes). If you do not think you have good PM's
get them, but be prepared to pay for them, it is a very competitive market
out there for them and the good ones are getting their price (and then
some).

Sincerely,

mp

Michael David Potters