Sender:
From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 12:55:16 -0800
It is their website, they can restrict or allow anyone they choose, and
put any requirements on access they choose.  A newspaper is not required
to give away printed content, same for electronic content.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/09/04 07:40AM >>>
Just curious about something.  I tried to go out and access some of
the
RAIN articles and as usual ran into a couple of sites where I was
asked
to log in.  Maybe it's the weather, but something about the whole
concept of identifying myself to obtain the news kind of goes against
the grain.

I kind of compare this to open records. There should be no reason for
the holder of an open record to know who is asking for the record.  I
can understand subscriptions where I pay for the service, but signing
in
just so they know who I am is a bit puzzling.  I am thinking of
sending
in some letters to the editor on the issue.

How do others on the list feel about the issue?

Bill Roach, CRM
Enterprise EDMS Coordinator
State of North Dakota
ITD/Records Management