Sender:
From:
Amy Conant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 06:44:16 -0700
Shirley,

Thanks for the question!  Finally something I can respond to with a reasonable amount of experience.  To all of your examples it is yes and yes.  It depends on how critical the information, the quality of the scanner, the quality of the document, and the quality of the operator.  Our Human Services department checks every page, and they have different people prepping the document, scanning it, processing it and quality checking.  The RIM Manager also spots checks documents.  These are documents that could end up in court so they have a history on every piece of paper and a closed system, meaning that no one but her staff can scan documents into it.  It has slowed her process down, even with a staff of about 15 in two locations.  We have our scanning for the rest of the county being done from a central scanning area (Clerk & Recorder Office) or by each individual department.  With the centralized scanning they perform a cursory screen check for image quality and the owning department is responsible for verifying each page is in the document.  If something is missing they return the pages to central scanning or insert the pages on their own.  Generally good quality documents are not checked page by page, sadly good quality documents are not common.  I would say that 90 percent of our scanning is checked page by page, but not usually by the one who scans it.  If you miss the page once while scanning it, you are often going to miss it again.  Similar to proofing your own work.  I'll be glad to give more detail if you need.

Amy Conant
Arapahoe County
EDMS Programmer Analyst