Sender:
From:
Shari Coughenour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:41:10 -0600
Our computer tech committee decided that the best practice is to print out "important" e-mails and file. Our attorney has been directed to write a policy on this premise. I will suggest to our attorney to include language that the records need to be identified and filed by topic/relative nature following the retention schedule.  My first question to the list is as "records custodian" what liability would I personally have due to this policy if we're directed by a court to submit electronic records that we don't have?

Our city has decided that they're willing to accept the risk of not keeping electronic information past the length of the backup tape recycle time.
I've forwarded the list's information regarding the e-mail best practices thread of a week or so ago to the city administrator, city attorney and technology person in hopes of enlightening them. They perceive me as chicken little, proclaiming "the sky is falling in". Perhaps they don't perceive the risk or they are willing to assume the risk.  I had a risk/benefit conversation with my immediate supervior, the city administrator and he told me that e-discovery isn't relative to our city. My second question: Am I really chicken little?  I'm thinking the city is not exempt from lawsuits or a discovery order. In fact, we do have a lawsuit brewing relating to a land deal. Fortunately, I've not any e-mails regarding this other than some records requests for minutes of meetings, which requests are transitory in nature and not kept.
Thanks for your feedback.

Shari Coughenour, CMC
City Clerk
City of Marshalltown